Waste and Recycling Complaints

If you have a complaint about your bin collection service, please contact your local council directly.

If you have a complaint about a waste site or household waste recycling centre in Greater Manchester (excluding Wigan), please put your complaint in an email to the operating waste contractor; SUEZ UK Ltd. They will respond directly to you.

 Email ContractManagerGM.uk@suez.com

If you have a complaint relating to the recycling centre van permit scheme, please contact Suez. Please note that the number below is only answered during business hours of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

Call 01628 513900

If you have been through the complaints procedure of the appropriate waste company and you are unhappy with the response provided you may wish to escalate your complaint to the GMCA Waste and Resource Team who will work with the waste contractor to resolve the issue.

Email GMWaste@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk

Call 0161 778 7110