Greater Manchester Combined Authority's GMCA) solar farm situated at the Salford Road Resource Recovery Facility in Bolton was opened in January 2016. At full capacity, the solar farm is set to produce around 2 million kWh of electricity every year, which is enough to power approximately 600 homes. It comprises over 8,000 individual solar panels across 6.8 acres (296,208 square feet).
The electricity produced by the solar panels is fed back into the National Grid.
Facts and Figures
• Designed and built by contractors Styles and Wood Energy (opens in a new tab)
• Funded and wholly owned by the GMCA
• One of the largest ‘public’ sector solar farm sites (296,208 square feet) with 8,400 solar panels
• Set to produce around 2 million kWh of electricity every year
• Estimated carbon savings of over 1,100 tonnes per annum; contributing to the 48% carbon reduction target for Greater Manchester