Make your organisation greener
Our environment in Greater Manchester underpins all aspects of our daily lives. We face urgent and significant environmental challenges in Greater Manchester. They require us all to take action now.
Greater Manchester has published our Five-Year Environment Plan, launched in March 2019 during the second Greater Manchester Green Summit. The plan sets out our long-term environmental vision – to be carbon neutral by 2038 – and the urgent actions we all need to take in the next five years to help achieve this.
Greater Manchester is the first city-region in the UK to develop a Natural Capital Investment Plan - a plan that will help us encourage investment in our natural environment to secure financial and social returns.
Working together as part of the Green City (opens in a new tab) family are the region’s leading businesses, community and voluntary, third sector and charity organisations, green influencers, schools and individuals. We are adopting a Mission Based Approach which breaks down our goals into discrete challenges.
Together we can work to address the major environmental challenges to our city region:
1: Mitigating climate change
2: Air quality
3: Production and consumption of resources
4: Natural environment
5: Resilience and adaptation to the impacts of climate change
- Put in place an operational plan for your organisation to be carbon neutral by 2038 with the support of Green Growth GM (opens in a new tab)
- Organise carbon literacy (opens in a new tab) training for all employees so that they can understand how to reduce their own carbon footprint
- Log onto the Business Growth Hub Green Tech and Services (opens in a new tab) for advice on reducing Carbon
- Maximise energy efficiency and local low carbon energy generation in your work place – ensure new build maximises Eco standards, or retrofit (opens in a new tab) your offices and buildings
- Build climate change resilience measures into your risk management and investment plans
- Help enable a Plastic free GM (opens in a new tab) - Re-use (or stop using) single use plastic
- Create less waste – with support from Recycle for Greater Manchester (opens in a new tab) or the Business Growth Hub (opens in a new tab).
- Manage any green spaces at your workplace for wildlife and promote environmental volunteering days for your employees