Graphic of a hand holding a heart with a house inside


The cost of living crisis means that you may be struggling to afford your rent or mortgage.

You may even be at risk of homelessness.

If you are a landlord, you may be struggling to meet mortgage costs.

This page provides information on where to get both general and local advice and support in Greater Manchester. 

Information for tenants

If you have concerns about any of the following now is the time to seek help:

  • debt
  • loss of employment
  • claiming benefits
  • housing issues

The earlier you get support, the better. Follow the links at the end of this page for resources and services across Greater Manchester and those specific to your local authority area.

If you are served with an eviction notice please seek advice and support before acting on it.

If you are a tenant in a housing association property please ask your landlord for help and advice.

You could also apply for a discretionary housing payment from your council using Shelter’s advice tool Discretionary housing payments (DHP) - Shelter England.

If you are a home owner then similar concerns may apply to you. Use the links provided to access advice, guidance and support that is relevant to you.

Information for landlords

The National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) offers a wealth of advice and guidance to support landlords, on how to work with tenants to manage arrears and avoid repossession, and on how to act responsibly and within the law if regaining possession is unavoidable.

Let Us, The Greater Manchester Ethical Lettings Agency, can help you minimise financial risk and continue to offer homes for those who really need them. A range of hassle free management and leasing options are available and if you are considering selling your property Let Us may be able to connect you with the investors who work with us. 

Our Job Centres and local authorities are resources for you. If you have issues maintaining a tenancy agreement please seek support for yourself and on behalf of your tenant where possible.

Manage arrears and avoid repossession - NRLA website

Act responsibly and within the law - NRLA website

Let Us GM - Greater Manchester Ethical Lettings Agency website

Housing advice services across Greater Manchester

To find out if you are entitled to legal aid: Civil Legal Advice ( and Find a local solicitor (The Law Society)

Housing advice from Shelter Home - Shelter England

Your local Citizens Advice can provide general free, confidential and independent advice and information

For free, expert, debt advice: StepChange Debt Charity

Apply for Universal Credit (

Apply for a budget advance ( during the five week wait for the first payment of Universal Credit

Help from Citizens Advice in making a claim for Universal Credit

Entitled to – who offer online benefit calculators, including specific advice on help available from benefits if you are affected by coronavirus

Free specialist housing advice in Bolton, Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan (The Bond Board) - One to one specialist housing advice helping to prevent eviction or to find alternative accommodation.

Support in your local area

Follow the links below to reach the housing