Police and Crime Complaints

Greater Manchester Victims' Services

As a victim of crime, you must be treated with respect by police and they should listen to and do their best to respond to any questions or concerns you have. If you don’t think you have received the service you should have from the police, you can make a complaint to Greater Manchester Police or request a right to review using the information on this page.

To learn more about what should happen when you report crime - and the support services available to victims - visit the Greater Manchester Victims' Services website.

Complaints about the conduct of GMP officers or staff

If you have a complaint about a police officer, member of police staff, police community support officer or special constable of Greater Manchester Police, please visit the Greater Manchester Police website.

Complaints about the Chief Constable

The Mayor of Greater Manchester has powers to conduct investigations into complaints about Greater Manchester Police’s Chief Constable.

If you have a complaint about the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police then please email police.enquiries@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk.

Appealing a decision to take a case to court

If your case does not go to court and you are unhappy with the decision made by the police and the CPS, you have a right to seek a review of the decision. This is called the 'Right to Review' scheme.

Complaints about the Mayor of Greater Manchester or Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime in relation to police and crime issues

The role of Police and Crime Commissioner no longer exists and in June 2017, the Mayor of Greater Manchester appointed a Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime.

If you have a complaint about the Mayor of Greater Manchester or the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime in relation to police and crime issues, please complete read the below policy document and complete the complaints form contained within it.

Between the 1st of April 2016 and the 31st of March 2017 a total of two complaints were received regarding the conduct of the former Police and Crime Commissioner and or his Deputy.

If you have a complaint about a member of staff at Greater Manchester Combined Authority in relation to police and crime issues, please email us: police.enquiries@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk

More information about complaints

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has information on its website about the police complaints system.

You can also email the IOPC on enquiries@policeconduct.gov.uk or call them on 0300 020 0096 (press 2 at prompt).