Exciting new programme to develop the next generation of digital talent is launched
Greater Manchester Combined Authority has awarded two contracts as part of the digital talent pipeline for young people. They will deliver a range of projects to get young people excited about digital skills from a young age as well as building sustainable connections between education and the digital industry.
Digital business experts Manchester Digital and a consortium ‘GoDigital’ made up of the White Room, Hive and InnovateHer, will deliver a series of projects supporting the whole of secondary education and beyond.
The programme is part of the Greater Manchester Digital Strategy which aims to put Greater Manchester in the top 5 European Digital City Regions by 2020.
The Go Digital package to schools includes:
- A digital assembly to spark excitement
- A hands-on one day digital making and marketing session
- Support to set up a Code Club
- Access to the award-winning 8 week InnovateHer programme for 200 year 8 girls designed to improve their skills and confidence and give them access to careers mentoring, led by female role models from industry
- Access to a 3-day Digi Deep Dive programme for boys and girls delivered by Digital Advantage and Hive Learning Network
- A visit to the inspiring Sharp Project
- A final challenge event for all students to celebrate their achievements
The Digital Futures part of the package will help educators deliver a curriculum that is effective and relevant, and be able to give specialist career insights. Specific industry-led initiatives include:
- Bringing the computer science curriculum to life in the classroom with support from industry experts
- Helping students and career leads gain insights into working in digital careers from people doing those jobs
- Providing inspiring industry experience visits to digital and technology employers for students, teachers and career leads
- GM Digital Day 2020 – an annual celebration day of digital skills for all schools in Greater Manchester
To find out more or sign-up to the programme go to: www.gmdigitalskills.co.uk
Article Published: 06/02/2019 12:12 PM