About Greater Manchester’s Equality Panels
The Greater Manchester Equality Panels have been established to advise, support and challenge Greater Manchester’s political leaders and policy-makers to tackle the discrimination and disadvantage that cause injustice and inequality in society, and champion Greater Manchester as an inclusive city-region. They do this by working together with the GMCA and partners to:
- Provide insight into Greater Manchester’s diverse communities, enabling political leaders and public bodies to listen and engage in a more targeted and effective way
- Communicate key messages to our communities as trusted sources
- Codesign policies, programmes and strategies to ensure they work effectively for communities
- Support an asset-based approach, highlighting new opportunities (and challenges) for positive collaboration that build on the resources and strengths within our communities
The Older People’s Equality Panel is one of seven equality panels established and funded by the GMCA. Other equality panels include:
Aims of the Older People’s Equality Panel
The Older People’s Equality Panel in in the process of being set up, and so will be the newest of Greater Manchester’s equality panels.
The Panel champions the voices and experiences of older people in Greater Manchester and provides an opportunity for them to feed into the development of policies and decision-making of GMCA.
Its work comprises of:
- Advising the Mayor and GMCA on key issues and concerns of older people, and provide solutions
- Providing a critical voice and scrutinise the work of the Mayor and GMCA
- Undertaking specific pieces of work, focussing on particular issues or projects on an ad-hoc basis
We are recruiting for the Older People’s Equality Panel and would like to hear from you if you want to be involved.
If you live in Greater Manchester and you are aged 50 or over, the Older People’s Equality Panel offers an opportunity to join with others to be a strong voice in influencing decision-making on key issues.
To apply to join the Panel, please fill out an expression of interest form on Greater Manchester Older People's Network's website before 1 April 2022.
More information on the Older People’s Equality Panel and its membership will be available in Spring/Summer 2022. If you have any questions in the meantime, or would like to get involved in the Panel and its work, please contact John Mulvenna by emailing email@example.com or phoning 07502 233 182.