Two large blocks of flats in front of a canal and canal bridge

Private Renting

Private Renting

A growing number of people in Greater Manchester rent their home from a private landlord. While many have a good experience and are happy with their homes, too many struggle to find a decent home they can afford. 

If you are a tenant or landlord and need advice about a problem in your home or with renting, there is a wide range of organisations and support services that can help. 

To make sure fewer people face problems with private renting, Greater Manchester is working to drive up standards and make a positive difference to the lives of tenants. Our approach to doing this is set out in full in the Greater Manchester Housing Strategy 

Improving housing enforcement 

The GMCA is currently spending more than a combined £3.5 million on projects to improve private rented housing, with a focus on improving enforcement against bad housing standards and poor practice.  

Improving access to decent rented housing 

The GMCA has also supported the development of an ethical lettings agency for Greater Manchester, Let Us. The ethical lettings agency is helping more people access a decent rented home in the private rented sector. 

Influencing national policy 

Greater Manchester has long been arguing for an end to Section 21 in the private rented sector and the introduction of a national landlord register.  

These changes are now being implemented through the Renters’ Reform Bill, which is making its way through the parliamentary process. We will continue to work to ensure that Greater Manchester residents get a good deal from the new legislation. 

Guidance for tenants

Private renting guidance for tenants - Shelter (link opens in a new window)

Fit for human habitation

On 20 March 2019 the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 came into force to make sure that rented houses and flats are ‘fit for human habitation’, which means that they are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm.

If rented houses and flats are not ‘fit for human habitation’, tenants can take their landlords to court. The court can make the landlord carry out repairs or put right health and safety problems. The court can also make the landlord pay compensation to the tenant.

Shelter's website contains advice to check whether your home fit for habitation (link opens in a new window). 

Help for landlords

Guidance for landlords - (link opens in a new window)

Find out more

Housing Strategy - Greater Manchester Combined Authority (

Private Rented Sector Research